Thursday, July 2, 2009

Epistemology and Worldview Throughout History

Below are links to my series of posts on the history of epistemological thought and philosophical worldviews.  This series of posts is a long-term work in progress.

I introduce the series in the following posts:

I am currently discussing the epistemological thought of the ancient Greek poet Hesiod.

The following six posts summarize his mythological and cosmological poem the Theogony.

And the next three posts search for an implied epistemology in the Theogony.

I also have two short posts discussing the epistemology of Hesiod's other great work, the Works and Days.

And here are two posts discussing, respectively, Homer and Thales.

The next three posts characterize three distinct ancient worldviews.

I discuss the common inductive epistemology of the above three worldviews in Induction in Ancient Greek Thought.

I discuss the advent of ontology, which had a profound effect on epistemology, in The Ontological Revolution: The Proto-Skepticism of Heraclitus.

I discuss the advent of rationalism in The Ontological Counterrevolution: Parmenides, the First Extreme Rationalist.

 

No comments: