Sunday, June 7, 2009

Epistemology in History

This post is the first in a series on the Epistemology and Worldview Throughout History

Assertions and arguments regarding particular topics (for example, ethics, economics, physics, etc) all rest on an epistemology (whether explicitly or implicitly): that is, a theory of knowledge, truth, and falsity.  Therefore, the first task of a thorough scholar is to make the case for his own epistemology.  In a series of posts that will follow, I will work towards doing that.  But I will do so in a roundabout way: through writing a brief history of epistemological thought.  I will cover the most prominent schools of epistemology and their foremost thinkers: evaluating their doctrines as I go, and picking out the choicest bits to construct my own epistemology.

Next in this series: Epistemology in (Western) History: From Hesiod to Hoppe

No comments: